Here you will find helpful hints from our knowledgeable staff.
When selecting a site for your pond, keep a few things in mind:
- It’s not necessary to have a hill for a stream or waterfall.
- You’ll want the pond in an area where you spend a lot of time.
- You’ll want to be able to see the pond from the kitchen, family room, or bedroom.
- Be prepared to explain why you’re always so eager to go home and relax!
- Spring is a wonderful time for your pond. As the snow melts, you’ll see life abound as plants start new growth, fish become more active and your pond wakes up. It’s normal to have a spring “algae bloom” that will last a couple weeks as everything comes back to balance. Just remember to add the recommended dosage of bacteria and be patient. Your pond will be crystal clear in no time!
- When temperatures go up in summer, make sure your fish have a cool place to escape the sun. Floating plants, lilies, and gaps in rocks are all good ways to provide shade. Also remember that as the water temperature goes up, you’ll want to feed your fish less and less.
Fall can be a wonderful time to enjoy your pond. To keep your pond beautiful in the fall, remember to clean the skimmer basket as leaves collect in it. This will keep leaves from falling to the bottom of the pond and rotting. Large amounts of leaves can cause a drop in the oxygen level of the pond and be dangerous for your fish. As temperatures drop, remember that your fish will be going dormant and will need much less food.
Don’t be afraid to let your pond run in the winter! Most ponds can be allowed to run year round. Even if the only areas of the pond that are open are the waterfall and the skimmer box area, your pond can be incredibly beautiful with a fresh layer of snow! If your pond does have a problem it will most likely be in the stream area. If ice starts pushing water off the liner, simply pull your pump and place a pond de-icer in until spring.
It is said that you become like those with whom you associate with. This group of individuals and companies are some that we have personally worked with and feel that they have been a big factor in the building of our business to what it is today. From personally mentoring with us to supplying us with some of the best equipment in the market, these are the best in the industry. We encourage you to visit their sites and experience their knowledge for yourself.
- XStreme Ponds – Bob Dews is out of North Carolina and has elavated himself, bu his construction techniques to one of the best water feature builders in the country.
- IlluminFx – Phenomenal lighting for any water feature! Any high end water feature is a must have for this item.
- Aqua Eden – Aqua Eden knows first hand the power of water and how it has greatly improved the quality of our life. We are passionate about passing this gift on to our customers.
- Exotic Aquatics - Exotic Aquatics have been recognized nationwide as one of the country’s top koi pond, water-garden and disappearing pond-less waterfall builders for eight years.
- Living Art Water Gardens – Living Art Water Gardens utilizes nearly a decade of experience and training in the water garden industry to create beautiful works of water art.
- KOI USA
- Pond Trade Magazine
5100 US 31 South
Grawn, MI 49637